homeowners: Save up to 10% this month only! Learn More

Join System Pavers and Komen Oregon and SW Washington for Race for the Cure

Portland, OR. - September 3, 2015– Susan G. Komen Oregon and SW Washington’s Portland Race for the Cure, is scheduled for Sunday, September 20, 2015. Les Schwab and Tektronix have come together to help Komen kick off the Pacific Northwest’s largest breast cancer fundraising event of the year. This year’s event includes food carts, live entertainment, prizes and much more.

Thousands of participants have already signed up for the 24th annual Komen Race for the Cure to run, walk, stroll and dance through downtown Portland. “Racing for those we love is our motto,” says Ann Berryman, Director of Development and Communications. “It is an important time to celebrate the lives of more than 1,200 affected by breast cancer and to pay tribute to those who have lost the fight.”

75% of funds from this event support critical, local programs – early detection, treatment access, survivor support and education. The remaining 25% will go to promising breast cancer research, which is happening right here in Portland.

Andy Asato, CEO of Komen Oregon & SW Washington, says, “With approximately 71 people diagnosed with breast cancer every week in our region, we are seeing some of the highest breast cancer rates in the country. The good news today is that survival rates can be as high as 99% when breast cancer is detected early, but we lose ten every week. This event allows us to continue to fight for progress and advance the understanding, treatment and eventual cures for breast cancer.”

The annual event is Sunday September 20 at Tom McCall Waterfront Park located at Southwest Naito Parkway, Portland, OR 97204. The Race Village opens at 7:00 am, with the 5k run at 8:30 am followed by the 5k walk at 8:45am. There is also a shorter 1-mile family-friendly walk at 9:15 am. It is a morning of celebration and emotion with loved ones. When spectators and participants cheer on breast cancer survivors as they cross the finish line, it is a moment to remember.

For more information on signing up, donating or volunteering, please visit KomenOregon.org.

About Susan G. Komen

Susan G. Komen is the world’s largest breast cancer organization, funding more breast cancer research than any other nonprofit while providing real-time help to those facing the disease. Nationally, since its founding in 1982, Komen has funded $2.6 billion in funding to research, screening, education, treatment and psychosocial support programs serving millions of people in more than 30 countries worldwide. More information is available at KomenOregon.org.

Published Date: Sep 8, 2015

Stay In Touch

Receive outdoor living ideas and exclusive offers in your email.