Whether or not your weather forecast reads like the news report from Antarctica or the balmy south seas, someone in your area is outside grilling and it may as well be you! The joy of grilling knows no season. No matter the temperature, food just seems to taste better coming fresh off the grill. Is it the woodsy aroma of mesquite chargrilled steaks, the flavor of a robust BBQ sauce, or hearty taste of charcoal roasted veggies? Regardless, there is something exciting about grilling your own dinner on your backyard grill.
Grilling isn’t just for the usual fare anymore, either. While great recipes for chicken, beef, and pork are still plentiful - veggies, desserts, and other delicacies are becoming regular grill grub. Even pizza! No longer a food for just the oven, you can throw a pizza on the grill along with steaks and other traditional grilling items, making every one at your dinner table happy all at once. Here’s a great recipe we’ve found for a vegetarian grilled pizza which is just as easy as it is tasty.
Photo and Recipe Credit:MyRecipes.com
Grilled Pizza with Asparagus and Caramelized Onion
• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
• 2 cups thinly vertically sliced onion
• 2 cups (2-inch) slices asparagus (about 1/2 pound)
• 1 tablespoon thinly sliced ready-to-use sun-dried tomatoes
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
• 1 (8-ounce) portion fresh pizza dough
• 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded fontina cheese
• 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh oregano leaves
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
2. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan sauté 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low cook 5 minutes or until browned. Add asparagus to pan cook 5 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender. Stir in tomatoes and salt.
3. Roll dough into a 12-inch circle on a lightly floured surface brush each side of dough with 1/2 teaspoon remaining oil.
4. Place dough on a grill rack grill 1 1/2 minutes or until crust bubbles and is well marked. Reduce grill heat to low turn dough over. Arrange onion mixture over crust sprinkle evenly with cheese. Cover and grill over low heat 3 1/2 minutes or until cheese melts remove pizza from grill. Sprinkle with oregano and black pepper.
To ensure a great grilling experience, make sure to start with a quality grill. System Pavers BBQ islands offers state-of-the-art grilling units, but you can also have a custom built island with any grill of your choice. With the options of expanded counter space or a built-in refrigerator using your choice of stone, you can be grilling any time of year whether your backyard is experiencing a northern frost or a southern breeze.