When it comes to decking, material makes a world of difference. Years ago, the only option homeowners had in decking was wood planks. These days there’s an array of decking materials to choose from, with some clearly being a better choice than others. When selecting the right decking material for your space, consider your lifestyle needs, budget, space, and overall aesthetic of your home.
First, it helps to know what types of decking options are available.
Your Most Common Decking Materials
- Wood Deck Boards: A classic look for most homes, wood comes in a variety of types. Wood is durable but does require regular care and maintenance. It also stains easily (hello, wine and BBQ sauce) and is prone to warping, rotting, splintering, and cracking.
- PVC/Vinyl Deck Boards: Also known as polyvinyl chloride, this highly sustainable choice is low maintenance but can crack or sag over time.
- Plastic Deck Boards: Available in a variety of colors and styles, plastic decking resists fading and is relatively easy to maintain. It may expand or contract in the heat.
- Aluminum Decking: Modern and long-lasting, anodized aluminum stays cool in high temperatures and is low maintenance. It can get dented or scratched and may corrode if installed near saltwater.
- Composite Deck Boards: Created to be incredibly durable, composite mimics the beauty of wood without all the maintenance. Available in a wide array of hues, choose carefully. Not only will it never need refinishing; you can’t stain to a different color later.
- Early-Generation Composite: Invented in the last 30 years, composite has improved a lot! Early versions were susceptible to stains, fading and mildew. Thankfully, if you choose a quality composite, this is no longer the case.
Now that you know more about what’s out there, it’s time to play favs. At System Pavers we are always looking for materials that meet our high standards for beauty, quality, and durability. Being eco-friendly is at the top of our list too. If those features matter to you as well, read on to learn why high-performance composite decking is our number one choice for creating beautiful outdoor decks that add lasting value to homes.
8 Great Reasons to Love Composite Decking
- Superior Durability: Building a deck is an investment. You want it to be worth the cost and durability is key to getting maximum bang for your buck. As the stage for your best outdoor gatherings, you need a deck that’s ultra-strong. Composite decking is built out of multiple materials for exceptional strength and resistance to wear and tear throughout the years.
- Minimal Maintenance: Unlike wood, composite decking won’t break down, warp or rot. It requires little upkeep and will never need to be re-painted or stained. At most you’ll just need to hose it down or power wash occasionally to keep it looking pristine.
- Environmentally Friendly: Made from 95% recycled materials, including recycled plastic and reclaimed sawdust, no trees are harmed in the making of composite decks! Manufactured using earth-friendly processes, this makes composite a wonderful choice with minimal environmental impact.
- No Splinters or Splintering: Kick off those shoes and go! Safe for your loved ones – including the kids and pets – friends and family can walk, shuffle, or roll across a composite deck in full confidence that splinters and cracks won’t slow them down.
- Insect Resistant: Composite decks may be mouthwatering to look at, but not for bugs. Termites, carpenter ants, wood boring beetles and carpenter bees will find your composite deck a terrible menu option and avoid at all costs.
- Water Resistant: Designed to repel water and minimize absorption, composite decking takes in less than 1% of water. This means it won’t swell or expand in rainy conditions.
- Slip Resistant: Thoughtfully textured to ensure exceptional non-slip properties, composite decking makes an excellent choice for pool decks, around a hot tub, or wet weather climates.
- So Many Color Choices! Crafted in a wide array of colors and finishes, composite decking will need no touch ups or fresh staining to retain its hue. Low maintenance at its most beautiful.
If you’d like to learn more about the world of decking, connect with us today. From backyard BBQ hangouts to pool decks and pergola-shaded hangout spots, we can help create the deck of your dreams. Contact a design consultant to help decide what type of deck will enhance your home while being your new favorite place to spend time in your own yard.