Home Grown BBQ Kebobs: Spring 2018 Newsletter Edition
Grow-able and grill-able are what's in season this year. Warm things up for Valentine's Day or add a new seasonal flavor to your Easter or St. Patrick's Day menu with the help of some backyard-friendly ingredients you can grow and prepare right at your outdoor kitchen. Growing peppers, fruit trees and cruciferous vegetables are easier than ever with the use of stone pots and planters. Accent your paver patio with the beauty of these garden features all while growing your own.
Our SP signature dish for February and March is Grilled Fennel & Cauliflower Kebobs with Braised Plum-Blood-Orange Vinaigrette, inspired by vegetables grown best in the Pacific-Northwest. Pairing fireside-worthy wines that bring out this dish's sweet warmth will delight your guests and your taste buds!
Grilled Fennel & Cauliflower Kebobs with Braised Plum-Blood-Orange Vinaigrette
- 1 Bunch Fennel
- 1 Lg Cauliflower Head
- 1 Plum
- 1 Blood Orange
- 2 Tbs. Rice Vinegar
- 3-4 Tbs. Butter
- 1/2 Tbs. Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 1/2 Tsp. Black Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp. Nutmeg
- 1/2 Tsp. Paprika
- Aluminum Foil
- Grill Tongs
- Grill Skewers (steel)
- Small Bowl or Saucepan
- Basting Brush
- Remove leaves and stem from cauliflower and break into medium florets.
- Slice blood orange and plum into quarters
- Cut fennel stems and roots to prepare stalks. Slice into 1-inch pieces.
- Skewer fennel and florets and set on foil
- Place blood orange and plum quarters on the grill for 2-3 minutes.
- Mash butter together with all seasonings and vinegar, or meltdown using a small saucepan over the grill.
- Remove fruits from grill and allow to cool 2-3 minutes. Squeeze juice and add pulp to a vinaigrette. Baste vinaigrette liberally onto skewered produce then wrap skewers with foil and place on grill.
- Close grill and cook at medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Remove carefully from grill and open foil, being mindful of the steam and heat.
- Place skewers directly on the grill to roast for about 2-3 more minutes.
- Remove and baste again with vinaigrette. Serve skewer as kabob or remove and serve in a salad or as a side dish.
- Sweet Bordeaux
- White Burgundy
- Pinot Gris